Thursday, March 11, 2010

So this is my first blog and of course it's going to be about running! So here it goes I got into running my 8th grad year (2005) and everyone always asks me how I got into it so I tell them that my 7th grade health teacher was the running coach at our school he does a program SRLA and he would always talk about it in class so I decided to give it a try I had no idea what I was getting myself into besides the fact I was going to be running a long distance so I went out for my first day of practice and fell in love with the sport because you didn't have to be the best at it. My first race was the OC half marathon it was pouring rain,our bus broke down,we started the race 30minutes late and I had to sit in this shack type thing for a hour freezing when I finished as I was sitting there I was thinking to myself if I could run through that I can stick with this sure enough I did and completed my first Marathon in 7hours 40minutes I couldn't explain the feeling I got crossing that finish line even if the time was slow just knowing I accomplished something amazing was all I needed, from that day on I told myself I will never quit running and come back next year trying even harder which I did my 2nd marathon I knocked a hour and 35 minutes of my time which was amazing in my eyes and every year since than I always wanted to do better but never did breaking 6hours has been the hardest thing for me but it never brought me down and makes me push myself even harder every season.

Now that the LA marathon is 9days away I've never felt so nervous and ready for a marathon I'm nervous because I've been fighting a knee injury since the middle of December which totally made me think I wasn't going to do this marathon but I wasn't gonna let it stop me so I took a break and sure enough it's a lot better now but from this injury it made me realize how lucky I am to be able to run let alone walk and it made me push myself so much more at practice it made me want to run faster and faster which i have been thankful my knee is letting me do it so now going into this race I'm so much more confident in myself and I'm ready to break this 6hour curse I seem to have on me :)

So good luck to all you first time marathoners it's something you will never forget and fall in love with

1 comment:

  1. Congrats on overcoming the injury. I am in the same boat, Dr. told me I had 10-20% chance of running LA this year given the severity of my injury. I am looking forward to completing my first marathon. Good luck, hope to see you out there!

    BTW...There are 2 tri's at Castaic lake in July and August. Lots of fun and not too crowded. I'll post a link when they formalize the dates.

    ReplyDelete

Followers